How we live reveals what we believe.
• When you were in your late teens, how much did you think you needed to earn to live a happy life?
• How does the world push the comparison game on us?
• What happens when people focus on being dissatisfied?
• How can being ungrateful make us dissatisfied?
• Pastor Bil said, “When you give you make a difference; you move things forward. When you don’t give, you also make a difference: we don’t move things forward.” What do you think he meant by that?
• Share an area of your life where you feel dissatisfied. What would it take to change that feeling?
• When Pastor Bil was going through the five points, telling us how to live dissatisfied, was there something he said that struck a nerve? Why do you think it convicted you?
• What Is something you are chasing as the result of comparing yourself to others?
Dear Heavenly Father, help us to see things and people through your eyes. Help us to do an inward search of our hearts and lives and be willing to change that which is not of you. Help us to live a life full of gratitude and thankfulness for the blessings in our lives. Help us to be patient and faithful. Our lives are not about us but rather they are about YOU! Father, forgive us for being self-focused and help us to move forward in making a difference in the lives of your people. Help us to serve one another as you served us through sending us Jesus. Father, help us to get in the habit of asking you, what can we do for you today. We ask all this in Your Son’s precious and holy name. Amen.
• Identify one area where you need to up your satisfaction with life and, as a group, discuss how you can make that life change.
• Pick an area of the church where you can make a positive difference and commit to serving that need. (volunteering in Kids Unlimited, First Impressions, stepping out and launching a new LifeGroup, increasing your tithes/offerings, etc.) Announce this decision to the group and ask for, then submit to, accountability from the group.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12 NIV
Jesus: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15 NIV
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14 NRSV
“I am the way, the truth and the life…” Jesus
“That is what the Son of Man has done: He came to serve, not be served—and then to give away his life in exchange for the many who are held hostage.” Matthew 20:28 MSG
“For long ago I broke your yoke and burst your bonds; but you said, ‘I will not serve.’”Jeremiah 2:20 ESV