Use your words to increase your capacity for blessings
· Share some funny, but not-so-smart things you’ve said in the past.
· Have you ever tripped over your own tongue and said something completely ridiculous? If so, share that with the group.
· What speeches or sermons have you heard that changed the world (or your life)?What speeches or sermons have you heard that changed the world (or your life)?
· Why do you think our words become our reality?
· Where should our focus be according to Philippians 4:8?
· What are some words Jesus would speak over us?
· Do you know someone who has either spoken great things about themselves and seen it become reality or someone who has done the opposite and wrecked their life?
· Is there something you often say about yourself that might be having a negative impact on your ability to live the life God designed for you?
· How can you increase your capacity to speak love and encouragement into the lives of others? To increase your own capacity to receive God’s blessing?
Dear Jesus, thank you for loving us. Thank you for showing us how powerful our words can be and how powerful Your Word can be to impact our lives. We don’t always use encouraging speech and for that we ask your forgiveness. Please help us commit to using our words to uplift not only those around us, but ourselves as well. We ask all this in your precious and holy name, amen.
· Take a moment to go around the room, one-by-one, and speak encouragement over the person to your right until everyone has used the power of their words to uplift another group member.
· Prayerfully consider what one thing you can speak over your own life, starting today, that will have a positive impact on how you live going forward – then commit to saying that every morning when you wake up.
· God shows us a pattern for creation, the first creation of a thought followed by a second creation by speaking that though into existence. Create a Virtuous Cycle for your life. First, think about the life in Christ you want to live. Second, speak that life into existence every day. Write it in a journal. Create a visual dream board to remind you.
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Matthew 12:34 NRSV
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8 NIV
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV
“...no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 54:17 NIV
‘May the LORD, the God of your fathers, increase you a thousand-fold more than you are and bless you, just as He has promised you!’ Deuteronomy 1:11 NAS
The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. Genesis 1:2-3 ESV
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14 NIV