We are called to do the right thing, even when it’s not easy.
“You must influence others so they don’t influence you” – Pastor Bil Cornelius
● Why do people get satisfaction from giving to their favorite charity?
● What would the “perfect, easy life” look like for you?
● Can you think of a famous person who doesn’t have amazing natural ability, but succeeded because of effort? What stands out about them?
● What’s your favorite story where a hero who had to overcome their own limits to win?
● Why do you think the right thing to do is often the hard thing to do?
● Why didn’t God just make life easy?
● Why is effort more effective than ability?
● Why do our actions impact those around us and future generations? How can we leave a legacy worth following to them?
● What are you waiting for that God hasn’t blessed you with yet?
● When was a time a “harmless sin” caught up to you? What kind of pain did that cause?
● Share a temptation you have faced where you walked in the escape God provided you.
● Has there ever been a time you felt forgotten by God? Why was that a lie you believed?
Dear Jesus, thank you for always showing us a way out of sin. You know what we struggle with and how we struggle with it, but you love us all the more. Please help us to avoid taking the easy way out and instead take the right way out. We ask this in your precious name. Amen.
● Share an area where you really need God to bless you and commit to praying daily for these areas as a group.
● Confess to God where you need to beef up your integrity. Do that every day, and utilize the unique escape plan God has already provided you to keep away from temptation.
● Bust yourself. Go to your spouse, friend, or loved one and confess a sin you are involved in that’s hurting them.
● Identify a hard, yet right thing that you’re not doing and commit to doing it.
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 NAS
If God is for us, no one can defeat us. He did not spare his own Son but gave him for us all. So with Jesus, God will surely give us all things… Can anything separate us from the love Christ has for us? Can troubles or problems or sufferings or hunger or nakedness or danger or violent death? As it is written in the Scriptures: “For you we are in danger of death all the time. People think we are worth no more than sheep to be killed.” Romans 8:31-32,35-36 NCV
“...please remember me and do me a favor when things go well for you. Mention me to Pharaoh, so he might let me out of this place. For I was kidnapped from my homeland, the land of the Hebrews, and now I’m here in prison, but I did nothing to deserve it.” Genesis 40:14-15 NLT
But God remembered Noah. Genesis 8:1 NLT
Then God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and opened her womb. Genesis 30:22 ESV
The Lord remembered [Hannah]. 1 Samuel 1:19 ESV
He remembered his holy promise to his servant Abraham. Psalm 105:42 NCV
He remembered us when we were in trouble. His love continues forever. Psalm 136:23 NCV
“Your help seems as uncertain as a seasonal brook, like a spring that has gone dry.” ...the Lord responds: “If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak good words rather than worthless ones, you will be my spokesman. You must influence them; do not let them influence you!” Jeremiah 15:18b-19 NLT
[If you]...sin against the Lord; be sure your sin will catch up with you. Numbers 32:23 HCSB
“...be sure your sin will find you out.” Numbers 32:23b ESV
...evil desire, when it has conceived, gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully matured, brings forth death. James 1:15 AMP
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1 ESV