Choose Faith Over Fear
Review this week's message.
God is still in control no matter how crazy things may seem.
“Your problem has an expiration date. Your God doesn’t.” - Pastor Bil Cornelius
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s something you were afraid of as a little kid?
- What common fears have you seen in people around you?
- Do you have a favorite “end of the world” movie?
- What is a song that gets you motivated?
Start thinking. Ask a thoughtful question.
- How does having a Christian perspective change how we should react to scary times?
- Why does a time of crisis often bring people together in ways that nothing else can?
- How can difficult times in our lives actually play a factor in fulfilling the Great Commission? (Matthew 28:19-20)
- What happens to our view of the world when all we take in is fear-based news? What happens to us when we give into fear instead of staying faithful?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Have you ever let fear take over instead of faith? Looking back, how would you have responded differently?
- Have you ever believed God, yet lacked action faith? What does action faith look like?
- How are you comforted knowing that God is in control of your life even when things do not make sense?
- How do you plan to show love during times of crisis?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
Dear Jesus, thank you that even in the midst of a global crisis, you are still in control. Help us to remember that you have not gone anywhere and you’re always here for us. We choose today to rest on your truth and promises. In your name we pray, Amen.
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- We should never underestimate the power of prayer. Take time to pray together for our church, our city, and our nation amidst everything that is currently happening.
- During a time in which so much is at stake, commit to obeying the command of Malachi 3:10 and bringing the tithe. Choose to give to Church Unlimited today and from now on.
- When watching news reports, take a moment to pray and put that information in the context of what you know about God’s power and will.
- Ask God to put someone in front of you this week who needs to hear the message of salvation – then help that person discover God wants them in Heaven.
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you his peace at all times and in every situation. The Lord be with you all. 2 Thessalonians 3:16 NLT
Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:38-39 NLT
“See, God has come to save me. I will trust in him and not be afraid. The Lord God is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.” Isaiah 12:2-3 NLT
“Then the officers will also say, ‘Is anyone here afraid or worried? If you are, you may go home before you frighten anyone else.’” Deuteronomy 20:8 NLT
Faith without works is dead… James 2:26 NAS
Faith that does nothing is dead… James 2:26 NCV
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 NIV